Issues & AdvocacyState
AIA State and Local Relations
The laws and policies that most directly impact architectural practice are passed at the state and local levels of government. The AIA State and Local Relations team provides AIA components with the resources and guidance they need to advocate for the profession.
§ The demo video is intended to help you utilize AIA tools (attractive graphic slides and a modifiable sample script) to compose a tailored and succinct message on the issue at hand to suit your audience.
• NEW!!! Public-Private Partnerships for Public Facilities: LEGISLATIVE RESOURCE GUIDE
AIA State & Local Relations Staff:
Yvonne Castillo, Esq., Director, Business and Practice Policy
Kristen Stewart, Esq. Manager, Business and Practice Policy
On Social Media:
State Government Network – Est. 1991
State Government Network (SGN) – Est. 1991
The State Government Network (SGN) was established in 1991 to give state components resources and materials necessary to advocate effectively within state government and to encourage communication between components.
State Government Network Representatives
Each AIA state component is assigned one official SGN representative and 3-4 alternates. If you are interested in participating in the State Government Network, please contact your state component for more information.
SGN Member Surveys
Advocacy Materials from State Components
State Government Network – 25th Annual Meeting
2015 State Government Network Annual Meeting
Join us to celebrate 25 years of State and Local Advocacy
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming (Jackson Hole Visitor’s Guide)
Hotel: Snake River Lodge & Spa
Dates: June 24, 2015 – Optional Tour; June 25 and June 26 – Business Meetings; June 25 – Anniversary Celebration Dinner and Reception; June 27 – Optional Tour
--- REGISTER NOW!
Start Tweeting Now! #SGN2015 #AIASGN
Will the 2015 Meeting be your first AIA SGN Meeting? Check out our “First Timers’ Guide” and have all of your questions answered!!!
State Government Network - Annual Meeting Archive
24th Annual Meeting
Dates: June 5th and 6th 2014
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
• 6/5: 9:00 – 10:30 AM – P3 Case Study: The Long Beach Courthouse Project - Guest Speaker: Clifford W. Ham, Principal Architect, Design and Construction Services – Office of Court Construction and Management, Judicial Council of California Administrative Office of the Courts
• 6/5: 12:00 – 1:00 PM – Lunch Discussion: General Project Delivery Presentation and Discussion Kristen Stewart, Esq., Manager, Business & Practice Policy (1 Credit Hour)
• 6/5: 2:45 – 4:45 PM - Licensing/Licensing Encroachment Trends Update and Strategy Discussion – Panel: Curtis Wilson, AIA, and Greg T. Metz, AIA, LEED (2 Credit Hours)
• 6/6: 9:00 – 10:30 AM Codes, Commissioning, and Coffee – Jessyca L. Henderson, AIA, Managing Director, Policy and Community Relations (1.5 Credit Hours)
• 6/6: 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM - Advocacy Best Practices – Michael Waldinger, Hon. AIA (1.5 Credit Hours)
25th Annual SGN Meeting
June 24-26, 2015
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Session Materials: TBD
State Government Network Newsletter Archive
Certificate of Merit
Design and Construction Defects/Notice of Opportunity to Repair
• Matrix of State Laws (updated March 2015)
• Amicus Curiae Brief – Beacon Residential Community Association vs. SOM (California)
• Map of State Laws
o Updated April 2014
o Updated September 2014
Statute of Repose
Statutorily-Imposed Design Warranties
• “Architects Design Buildings… Inside & Out” Digital Advocacy Tool
• The demo video is intended to help you utilize AIA tools (state law matrices, attractive graphic slides, and a modifiable sample script) to compose a tailored and succinct message on the issue at hand to suit your audience.
Construction Manager At-Risk
• AIA P3 Toolkit
o Public-Private Partnerships for Public Facilities: LEGISLATIVE RESOURCE GUIDE
o The Long Beach Courthouse Project
Qualifications Based Selection
§ The demo video is intended to help you utilize AIA tools (issue briefs, state law matrices, attractive graphic slides, and a modifiable sample script) to compose a tailored and succinct message on the issue at hand to suit your audience.
Stock Architectural Plans
• “Deep Energy Retrofits: An Emerging Opportunity” by The American Institute of Architects and Rocky Mountain Institute.
Architectural Service Taxes