Join the AIABecome an Associate Member
Instantly expand your support network by more than 85,000 colleagues.
Join today and gain from the most valuable professional resource available.
Eligibility for Associate Membership
Associate membership is open to individuals who meet one of the following criteria: professional degree in architecture; currently work under the supervision of an architect; currently enrolled in the Intern Development Program (IDP) and working toward licensure; or faculty member in a university program in architecture.
Associate Member Benefits
Membership is critical to bolstering your prospects, offering resources to keep you moving forward.
Here are just some of the benefits you'll have as a member:
- Access a range of expertise through a peer network of more than 85,000 colleagues.
- Attend events, activities, and network through your state and local AIA components—demonstrate leadership skills and raise the visibility of the profession in your community.
- Signify that as an AIA member you adhere to a professional code of ethics and share a common goal to build better a better world for all people.
- Intern Development Program (IDP), including help finding IDP coordinators and mentors
- Architect Registration Examination® (ARE) study resources and instruction to support you on the path to licensure.
- The Emerging Professional’s Companion, an online resource to gain IDP credit.
- National Associates Committee (NAC) programs, activities, and resources that ensure you have a strong voice within the AIA. You also receive relevant news and announcements by e-mail and social media.
- AIA Transcript to track AIA continuing education provider courses. Associate members and interns can earn IDP Supplemental Experience hours by completing approved AIA continuing education courses. One AIA Learning Unit is equal to one IDP supplemental experience hour.
- AIA Knowledge Communities, up to 25 professional interest groups that help you build a peer network with like-minded colleagues who share your professional interests and aspirations.
- Subscriptions to AIArchitect, e-newsletter covering news, practice, and key trends; ARCHITECT, the official magazine of the AIA; plus digital editions of residential architect, EcoHome, and ECO-STRUCTURE.
- AIA Career Center assistance to find internship and professional opportunities
- AIA Advantage discounts on products and services such as shipping, credit cards, technology, and more.
The sooner you become a member, the sooner you will be able to experience everything that your professional association has to offer.
Free Convention Registration *
New members receive complimentary registration for the 2015 AIA National Convention and Design Exposition in Atlanta, Georgia May 14 - 16. Learn More
Dues Installment Plan
All newly joining members are eligible to participate in the 2015 Dues Installment Program. Enroll no later than April 30, and pay your membership dues in up to six monthly installments. 2015 membership dues must be paid in full by June 30, 2015. Learn more.
Tax Deductible Dues Statement
For state and federal income tax purposes, payments to the AIA and its components are generally deductible as trade or business expenses—except for the percentage spent on lobbying federal or state governments. Consult a tax professional to determine the appropriate tax treatment of your dues.